Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Murphy's Law

Is it Murphy's Law that says that everything that can go wrong will go wrong?  I think it is.  I generally find it bad form and glutton for punishment to call out Murphy's Law.  There is ALWAYS something worse that can go wrong.  But tonight definitely felt like one of those nights.

My plan for the day:  shopping, Uni, dinner with family of family.  Simple.

Shopping was fine.  I got home with enough time to unpack my loot and get ready to head straight back to Uni.  Uni was pretty good.  The cute boy in my class (one of the 5 boys in my program) complimented my brand new boots I had just bought!  But class got out about 5 minutes late, and I had only 15 minutes to get to Sydney Harbor.  Usually I get out of class 15 or 20 minutes early so it should not have been a problem.  Tonight it was a problem.

I tried to call Janet, the woman I was meeting, when I realized I was going to be about 15 minutes late for dinner.  Then I learned that my phone ran out of credit.  And I forgot the voucher at home.  Thankfully I can text when I run out of credit, so I text my roommate and ask her to find the voucher and text me back the number and pin.  Thankfully, she's home and able to help me.  Then I realize that I have nothing to write with...why did I change bags?  So I use my eyeliner to write the pin down.  I top up my credit, phew, I can now use my phone!  Oh, but I forgot the number of the hotel at home.  That's ok, I'll just call information!!  Wait...I'm not in America.  I doubt 411 would work here.  I ask the lady sitting next to me, she didn't really know what I was talking about, eventually we get on the same page.  There IS an information in Sydney.  Its 12455 if you were wondering.  Call information, they connect me to hotel.  Hotel puts me through to Janet's room.  Janet is supposed to be meeting me in the lobby right now, she's of course not in her room.  I leave a message anyway, just in case.  Call information again to be connected to the hotel and try to leave a message with reception.  They are surprisingly unhelpful.  I leave a message, but I'm not sure that the woman wasn't just placating me.

This was all while I thought I was only going to be 15 minutes late. After a bit I realize that the bus isn't really getting far, the entire city is grid-locked.  My own personal hell.  I give up on the bus half way and jump in a cab.  Cab is a bit better but not much.  After 20 minutes in the cab, and $20 worth (the only cash I have on me) I ditch the cab and run the last 6 or so blocks.  I've now made Janet wait 45 minutes for me.  And I can't find her.  I go to reception, they give me the phone to call her room.  She's not there.  I'm sure she's gone to dinner by herself by now.  I wander around for a few minutes aimlessly, contemplating getting a drink at the hotel bar.  Then the valet comes and asks me if I'm Kassi.  Yes!  Yes I am!  I just missed Janet, she's gone up to her room.  Thankfully, she was just going to check for another message from me and came back down a few minutes later. 

What in the world did we do before cell phones?!

Dinner was great, but I meant to bring a few things with me for Janet to deliver back to the states.  And guess what...I forgot.  Do you sense a theme to my day?

No comments:

Post a Comment