Friday, July 30, 2010

The symbolism of Perth

Well I didn't, kinda.  Perth just doesn't have the great stories that the rest of the trip has.  But the photos are great none-the-less.  This is Perth:

Its a cute city.  Probably the cutest little big city I've ever been to. I liked it a lot.
This was on a bench in the park I loved, Kings Park.  You had to walk up a couple hundred steps to get there called Jacob's Ladder.  But once on top of the hill you had great views of the city, lots of families having picnics, personal trainers and their trainees (I would fit in here!) and pretty pretty sites.

This site was more funny than pretty.  Someone actually named the plant 'Long Distance Relationships Don't Work.'  Im imagining some nerdy heart broken horticulturist...

I love these trees!! They're huge.  And I love the terrace work on the hospital behind us.  Its very Australian.  Also makes me think of New Orleans, though I've never been...

I like the new and old combo on this church.  I think they should use it for good symbolism of the tradition and progression.

I really like this picture.  I can't really explain it.  I only took it because the building has a neon yellow stripe, but it's turned into one of my favorite.

The coolest bell tower I've ever seen.

This is the normal shield for Australia (like our bald Eagle with the olive branch).  My friend Danielle informed me that the kangaroo and the emu were chosen to represent Australia not just because they are native to the country and no where else (which was all the explanation I needed) but because neither animal is capable of moving backward.  Not too bad symbolism.

I have absolutely no idea what the lion king and unicorn represent.

I convinced Danielle, who doesn't really drink beer, to grab a happy hour beer with me at the German bar.  I feel love with this place.  The beers were giant, and it just felt like home. I had to text my German friend Mika to tell her that the German bar in Perth made me think of Chicago.  Thats just how we roll in the 6-1-8.

On to Freo, home of AC/DC legend Bon Scott!  It's where he was born, raised and buried.  I have to admit that I didn't know AC/DC was Australian at all.  Oops.

A statue of children emigrating to Perth/Freo.  Freo is a big fishing port.  Lots of sea-based work for young strapping men.  And lots of young strapping men for the young ladies.  

Fishing Boat Harbor--appropriately named.



I went on a submarine tour.  It was actually very cool.  This was the engine.  Well, half of it.  The other half was to the left of the narrow pathway.  Lots.of.horse.power.  

And the most sophisticated piece of equipment on the entire submarine:
The level!

Between Freo and Perth was where I stayed: Cottesloe Beach.  I've mentioned it before, but Cottesloe was beautiful.  I only wish I had gone there in the summer so I could really enjoy the awesome beach.  Heath Ledger's Beach at that!



How awesome are my picture taking skills?!




1 comment:

  1. your reference to the balconies reminding you of nola you are correct. it's really cool to see the architecture here. i can't wait for you to see it and see the blog of it! again awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete