Thursday, July 1, 2010

Here comes the sun (dodododo)

I'm in Exmouth now. Exmouth is teeny tiny and only has the ocean to offer. But at least its about the coolest part of the ocean! I've done a bunch of snorkelling here, which is cool. I'm realizing that I might actually have a fear of fish. At least large fish. I saw one that could eat me yesterday and screamed into my snorkel and tried to find someone in the group in a panic. When I put my head back under though he was gone. So I either imagined it, or my scream made him swim away. But he was huge! Thankfully I didn't see any sharks, they are common in the area but usually harmless. They get a lot of Tiger sharks and white tip grey nurse reef sharks and Woebegones (which are apparently really dumb gum sharks that lay on the ocean floor but have no teeth). I DID get to swim with a green sea turtle and a manta ray. I didn't know, but manta ray's wing/fin span is about 2-5 meters! They are huge. Our view of the manta ray wasn't the best, but I think I'll see more tomorrow. I've booked a whale shark tour. They pick me up at 7am, we go snorkel a bit, then they use their spotter planes to find the whale sharks and then we go swim with them. I wasn't going to do it because it is really freaking expensive, and we already swam with manta rays, but everyone that's done it has said it was the most amazing experience ever. And they got to see whale sharks, mantas, humpbacks, and one group even say a killer whale! So yea, doing that tomorrow..hopefully they don't eat me. the snorkelling I did today was the best by far. The part of the reef they take you to is like a mountain range. There were coral groupings that I couldn't swim over because they came so close to the surface. And I saw the most fish today, so that's cool. But I just kept thinking that I was goign to get eaten by a shark, lol.



My tour was amazing, and you'll see why when I finally get to upload some photos! the people I met on tour, are, once again...amazing! There were a number of Americans which everyone we came across said was unheard of. Our guide was nice...sometimes. Haha! No, he was great, but sarcastic as all hell. He wouldn't admit it, but he enjoyed my annoying presence in the front seat! Though he did call me a cow one night, so I through a bar of soap at his head. We lost half our group after only three days (they got on another bus and headed back to Perth) which was sad cuz we had already bonded and were getting along so well! Then on day 5, they lost me and a few others, so there were only like 6 people heading back to Perth. I bet that was a quiet ride.



We did cool things, other than drinking that is, lol. We saw the pinnicles, and climbed the Z Bend Gorge, where I went absailing (ie. repelling) from a 25 meter cliff, saw dolphins at monkey mia, had a proper and slightly impromptu beach party, etc etc. It was epic.



Tomorrow, after snorkelling, I leave on a greyhound for Broome. Where I can hopefully meet up with my American friend to celebrate the 4th of July by watching Eclipse as Broome is the only city big enough to have a cinema so far! I'm only in Broome briefly before I fly up to Darwin and get on another tour. I only hope that this tour is anywhere near as cool as the one I just got off.

1 comment:

  1. ooh sounds like you had a great time! hopefully broome and darwin went/are going well! maybe a slightly comforting tidbit. sharks are less likely to attack a group, they're out numbered. they go for the loners when it comes to their feeding habits.

    ReplyDelete