Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sydney update

Since I'm posting pictures of Elle Belle and Sammie (see below) I should probably also include an update on my Sydney Status. I've been hesitant to put anything up about Sydney because my confidence level on getting there changes daily, and drops significantly at least once a week.  Basically I'm afraid if I say everything's great and on track, I'll jinx it.  But if I write about all my worries anyone who reads this would A) yell at me; B) placate me; or C) think I'm insane.  Possibly all three!

Anyway, so far, things seem to be working out.  A few major hiccups include when I thought I applied to the distance learning program and wasn't actually going to Sydney.  Also when I thought I could only take out half of what I need in loans, therefore not being able to afford going to Sydney.  And most recently when I thought I missed the deadline to accept because I was so nervous to actually commit with money.  All scenarios have been taken care of, and were either misinformation on my part, or an over active imagination, also on my part.

So as of now I have accepted my offer from the University.  I have also paid the deposit (well the 5% Im required to pay as a 'loan student'), applied for financial aid, signed the MPN, and I am currently awaiting my eCoe (electronic confirmation of enrollment).  Once I am approved for financial aid and receive my eCoe I will apply for the student visa.  I might have to buy the plane ticket before then, but I'm not worrying about that right now. One thing at a time.

My former boss (you know who you are) is not going to be happy when she learns that Sydney is not offering me any type of assistantship to help pay for tuition.  I can apply for work when I get there, but there are no guarantees.   That being said, I did apply for a fellowship.  An awesome, amazing opportunity, right up my alley fellowship.  It is not through the University.  Rather it is through the American Australian Association.  Ever heard of it?  I haven't.  Until my sister, Sherie, serendipitously received an email from a list serve to all UCLA MBA alumni promoting this fellowship.  It is for American students wanting to study in Australia in certain fields and plan to bring what they learn in Australia back to the United States.  As I said, right up my alley.  So fingers crossed.  Or per a conversation with Yolanda, Nanci and others: legs, arms, and hair crossed too. 

That's all I know for now.  If I get the fellowship everyone who's ever met me will know it.  And if my life implodes, I'll probably just hide out for awhile, lol.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment