Friday, November 27, 2009

My poor poor family

I've been dealing with loans and budgets and expected expenses for my year abroad, and OY VEY, do finances bring me down!  I've been in what I call 'cancerous moods' lately, where nothing positive comes from being near me or talking to me.  (I hope that isn't offensive btw).  I feel bad for Sherie and Ben who consistently ask me whats wrong, and I consistently don't want to talk about it.

I'm still on track and everything is still moving forward, thank goodness.  This is a learn-as-I-go process.  But I've applied for the Stafford loan and a Grad Plus loan.  With any luck, I won't need the Grad Plus loan because I'll get the fellowship....fingers crossed. 

Things I wish I had known:
  • Pay off all credit card debt before moving to Boston.  If I had done this, I would be saving away everything I earn and not having to waste that money on credit cards!  Ugh, Im soo annoyed with myself about this!
  • Sell car for serious mula!  I didn't sell my car thinking I would want it when I return.  This was dumb.  I don't know that I will return, or that I will need a car when I do.  I should have sold, made an easy $5k and been done with it.  Instead I am leasing it to Jessica, which means I'm not paying for it and get it back when I return, but I forgo the cash.  Duh!
Things I have learned:
  • My undergrad loan can go into deferment while I'm a student.  Sweet!  Though this will add to the debt I am in on the other side....
  • I want to live a life with as few monthly payments as possible!  Right now I'm fighting the urge to just pay off all debt I owe completely to have a clean slate.  (Car, student loans, credit cards).  This would normally be a great idea, except I need the cash for the coming year...
  • Apartments in Sydney are paid on a per week basis.  Kinda strange.  Also, they are mostly dorm style (i.e. 2 bedroom apt with 4 roommates)
  • I'll be spending my New Years Eve (favorite holiday) alone on the couch.  This is mostly because I don't have the cash I originally thought I would (see things I wish I had known).  But more so because, everyone was right, and it is crazy to spend the money to go to Edinburgh when I'm trying to save to Sydney.  But MAN would that have been AWESOME! (adds to the cancerous moods)

Sherie keeps telling me that my time in Boston is supposed to be a "head-down-and-hard-work"  "save as much money as possible" time.  To which I respond, "Yes, it is.  But that doesn't mean I can't mope about it."  Which is basically what Im doing by writing this entire post.

With that, I'll take my cancerous mood to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment