Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Thing About Facebook Birthdays Is

I hate them.

There is not a day that goes by where at least one of my FB friends has a birthday.  Facebook is kind enough to remind me of my friends aging, which I do appreciate.  But just because facebook tells me its Stacy's birthday, I am obliged to write the standard message on Raquel's wall. (I don't know a single person named Raquel).  So I am writing this blog as an apology to all the friends who have had a birthday and not received the standard FB message from me.  Its not because I don't care that its your day, I just didn't say so on FB.  To be fair, there are a number of people on facebook that I wouldn't normally call up on their birthday to chat with, so it feels a bit fake to write it on their walls.  But now I'm stuck in this conundrum of how do I say happy birthday to those I care about without looking like a bitch to those who maybe I don't.  I suppose the easy thing to do is go all or nothing.  But all is overwhelming and nothing is boring.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. It's also kind of awkward now that we have a million communication tools. So should I say happy b'day to someone via fb, text, and in person if I see them? Some people will wish me a happy b'day multiple ways, and it's like, "Once was fine, thanks." Someone who is really close to me, I might call or say it in person, but neglect to write it on fb because everyone else is doing it. -Britt K.

    ReplyDelete