Monday, January 30, 2012

Ebbs and Flows

Unfortunately, my life just isn't as consistently interesting enough to keep my blog up as I had hoped it would be. Or maybe, I need to re-frame how I view things.  Regardless:  an update.

So November and December were hard months for me.  There was my usual dislike for the holiday season and my new found dislike of cold weather to confront.  Along with my stagnant professional life and to top if all off things didn't go so well with Cute Red Head.  (I really thought with a first date story like we had, it would have lasted longer--oh well).  So I wallowed for for awhile.  Some of the wallowing I did in Mexico, which was awesome.  (That's where the re-framing part comes it, cuz that was really cool, but I was stuck in my own downward spiral at the time).

What wallowing does do for you, is it gives you a chance to think.  Think of all the things you want to change, and it give you the courage to change them.  At least for me it does.  In my wallowing, I was able to get a gig in a holiday market selling Rwandan baskets.  It was somewhat hokey, but I met some cool people and I saved enough money to completely pay off my Mexico trip, all other debt (excluding student loans of course) and still have a fair bit left for my next adventure.

I also networked my way into a volunteer position at my favorite non-profit public health organization.  I say networked my way in....I kind of stalked my way in, but more on that later. This.Is.Huge.  This organization has so many resumes come through not only for jobs but also for volunteer positions.  (In fact, another volunteer was going through and sending out thank you denial letters to all the other volunteer applicants this week because they are all full up).  It feels like a job, I treat it like a job, but it does not pay.  And for the moment, that is ok with me.  I am so excited to be a part of the work they do that I'm happy to enter data or stuff envelopes for hours on end for free.  Obviously, I won't be able to sustain this indefinitely because, well, I need a job.  But for now, I'm so pumped everyday that I get to go in to the office.  This volunteer gig is a huge opportunity and will open a lot of doors for me.  After volunteering two days, I discovered a global health fellowship program, which I am in the process of applying for.   I'm also in the process of stalking, I mean networking, with everyone who has a connection to the global health fellowships.  So wish me luck!  Because it could be everything I've been looking for!



No comments:

Post a Comment