Sunday, February 14, 2010

updates Updates UPDATES....

OK, I hear you loud and clear....you all want an update!  I apologize for lacking in the update department...I will get better.  There are a few reasons why the updates haven't been happening....

1.  Internet is expensive.
2.  While on the internet I feel like I should be doing something more productive...like apartment hunting.
3.  I have no pictures to share as I dont have my computer set up.
4.  A lot of my updates sound whiney.

Regardless, there are a lot things that I want to share with everyone.  Many times I day I see something or something happens that I want to tell everyone about.  Like today, while walking to the Harbour Bridge a parrot shit on my shoulder.  Thats good luck right?  Also, its raining, since Friday, through tomorrow.  Its not the rainy season, but apparently this is the wettest summer Sydney has had.  I like it and hate it at the same time.  I dont have a tan, so I want sun, but the sun here is oppressively hot.  Or at least it feels oppressive compared to the cold climate I just left.  Also...it ruins my hair!  I still haven't bought a hair straightener (gasp!)  but the humidity would ruin it anyway, so I just walk around with crappy hair.  Last night I borrowed my neighbors straightener and everyone was impressed with how awesome my hair really is (thank you again Erica!)

Speaking of neighbors...apparently I had to move to Sydney to pick up a British accent.  All my roommates (theres 10 beds in my room) are English, save for one Canadian dude.  I find myself speaking with a British accent.  I don't think they notice it because they never heard me talk before, but seriously...I sound freakin English.

There is a disproportionate number of money lenders, sex stores, and open air Asian food shops near my hostel.  But once you get past the money lenders and sex stores, there is an AWESOME mall/market.  Through the week its just a mall with a food court of all asian food. But Wednesday through Sunday it is also Paddy's Market (why it has an irish name I dont know).  Paddy's market is AMAZING.  Its like a giant flea market...giant.  And it has everything you could wish for.  There is also a produce area, like Super H Mart in Evanston if you know what that is.  I've been there about 5 times since arriving 5 days ago. 

Though while at Paddy's Market today, I discovered that Chase Bank has blocked my debit card.  Pissed.  One, its embarrassing when I have no other way to pay for things (left my cash stash in my room).  I told them I was traveling so I don't know why they blocked it.  I used it yesterday at an ATM just fine and there is plenty of money in it.  The kicker is...Its Sunday here.  Which means its Saturday in the states.  So I wont even be able to get a hold of customer service until Tuesday.  And if I find a place between now and then I am going to need to put down a bond, which is about a grand.  I don't have a grand in cash on me.  And if they take the money I have, I wont have any money to use until this gets taken care of.  Annoying.

Anyways, Im about to run out of internet.  When I have more internet money, or my Uni Key at University is fixed I will post more updates.  And pictures.  I have plenty of pictures of my new hostel friends.  They are all pretty awesome.  Today was the first day I did anything toursity, I have pics of that too.

One last point...something I never thought I would be able to say:  Today I bought a mini-dress.  A mini-skirt dress.  Crazy.

4 comments:

  1. It's OK to whine some, you will be over that soon anyway. Love the miniskirt! You are my hero ; )
    x,Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Glad to finally hear that you've arrived! Can't wait for the pictures to start rolling in! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psst - dont run out of internet time on us now! Pesky sister advice: write your update in Word, and then paste it to your blog and save yourself 20 minutes of 'net time ;-) You love me, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i <3 you! you are marvelous! (i'm getting tired of awesome and fabulous...)

    ReplyDelete