Saturday, January 2, 2010

Resolutions, Shmesolutions

You may or may not know, but I hate making New Years resolutions.  I've always had the same resolution every year...to be healthier.  Usually that involves "lose weight" or "exercise more."  Very quantifiable and achievable goals, lol.  So I just don't make them anymore.  I'm also making goals for myself all the time, almost daily.  Do I stick to them, not always, but I'd say its a fair More-often-than-not.

Although, I keep up with a few author blogs, one being Words on Words by Maggie Stiefvater who has a thing for resolutions.  Reading her blog about her resolutions made me think: "If I had to make concrete, quantifiable and achievable goals for the next year, what would they be?"

This was more difficult than it probably should be.  Most of my goals are not things that I can cross off easily, or before the end of 2010.  Regardless, here goes:
  1. Blog at least once a week-seems approrpiate.  This is not something I can cross off until 12/31/10 but I still think its a good goal to keep, especially with my upcoming move across the world.
  2. Buy a bike in Sydney- In my ever present desire to be more physically active, this will help. And the purchasing of a bike is something I can accomplish and cross off.
  3. Don't assume people don't like you- A recent conversation with a certain Ben enlightened me that I have a tendency to assume people don't like me, thus never giving the friendship a chance.  This is neither quantifiable or concrete.  Yet, a good behavior change goal.  And if I am successful, my reward will be a more outgoing Kassi and more meaningful friendships.  So difficult to accomplish as a resolution,  but something I would like to work on and reflect on in a years time.
  4. Oh yea, that little thing of getting an MPH.  This is kind of funny to me.  Because my program is only one year, by NYE 2011, I will have an MPH.  Crazy!  SO yea, thats one massive concrete goal.
  5. More specifically, maintain a 3.7 GPA or higher.  I finally got the hang of it at the end of my undergrad studies, so I think this is achievable.  Though I have no idea how my undergrad studies will relate to grad school in a foreign country...
  6. Have a plan for income by 2011!  I.e. Have a job!!  At the moment I don't feel that I have a lot of control over this, but as the year continues that needs to and will change.
  7. Learn how to take better photographs.  Hello Donna..are you out there?  I don't need to become a photographer, but I am consistently jealous of other peoples's photos.
  8. Moisturize at least once a week.  I originally had moisturize daily here.  But knowing myself, that is an automatic fail.  So lets go with more often.  Once a week would be a vast improvement to how often I do it now.  This wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't have super dry skin, and genetic material that leads to skin conditions.  TMI?  
  9. Visit the Great Barrier Reef.
  10. Visit New Zeland.
So there they are, my 2010 resolutions.  The first time in my life I have put resolutions in writing.  I definitely failed at coming up with quantifiable concrete resolutions, but I'm ok with that.  Resolutions are a rather personal thing after all.

What are your resolutions for 2010?

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a very organized year! when i get around to it i'd like to not procrastinate so much ;) as for #3 everyone loves you... seriously! #7 better happen before #s 9 and 10 because we all want to see these pictures! do you get a "spring break" at all? i'm still trying to figure a way to come out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kassia, now you've got me opening up a blogspot account too! :D

    ReplyDelete