Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My advice to those who want to make a dress:


DON'T.

Let me say that this project was a pain but I am very proud that I did it and with what I accomplished.  I got the crazy idea to make a dress on Thanksgiving.  I was wearing a navy blue t-shirt dress, but underneath I had a navy blue slip and a cream colored tank top.  When I went to change, I noticed how good the undergarments looked together.  Both were outlined with lace of the same color, and the slip had scooted its way up to be an empire waist with a pencil line shape down to my knees.  I thought seriously about just sewing the two pieces together and calling it a dress (in classic Kassi-improvisation-style).  But I concluded that I probably didn't want to be walking around in a slip and a cami, and both pieces are very useful to my wardrobe.

So I contracted my mother to help me while she came to visit for Christmas.  She was the crucial factor to this project.  I had no idea there was a secret language.  Selvage, notion, hem tape (which is not actually tape).

This is what it started with: running around New England looking for a fabric store that carried the pattern I wanted, purchasing said pattern and 2 different materials, lining, boning, 2 zippers, 2 spools of thread, and one package of eye hooks. 


  

An unexpected helper came to join the fun.  She was really good at picking up the pins that I never bother to put back into the pin cushion :)



Lots of pinning together of random shaped pieces of fabric.

 

This is when worlds started coming together!  The random shaped pieces of fabric actually started resembling clothing!  This is the bodice.  I turned the picture upside down because to see bodice right way up, but Im not sure that helped, lol.



 Finally the top looks like a top!  Kinda.



My mother inadvertently got a picture of the first major hiccup.  I should have taken note that the model  wearing the dress on the package was an A cup.  How am I not surprised.  At this point we've also realized we have to add some fabric to the sides as well to make it fit comfortably, so my self esteem is through the roof.  At least adding more sections of fabric was easy at this point, but I almost scrapped the whole project because this dress would have been not only risque but down right inappropriate to wear in public.  We persevered on, though I did not have high hopes.  As illustrated in my lovely smile below:




 The skirt was pretty easy, in fact my mother did most of it while I came up with an idea to make the top wear-able.

There was still a lot of work after this point, the finishing touches took a long time, especially since my mother had to go home!  And measuring yourself is NOT easy.  It seemed like all I was doing was measuring, making a stitch, trying the dress on, and then ripping out the previous stitch.  After making the top bigger in the beginning, I ended up having to take it in after all.  I added a ribbon of navy to the top, which also allowed me to put straps on it!  Wooohoo for straps!  But figuring out the right length for the straps, where to place them, and at what angle so they hide my bra straps was a ridiculous feat. 

I also ad-libbed on the skirt a bit.  The original pattern called for a full length straight skirt.  Not a flattering look.  I decided to cut it off at the knee and make it a pencil skirt, like my original vision.  Measuring satin to an even 25" all the way around is beyond difficult.  Then to make it a pencil skirt, I had to take it in at the knees.  My first attempt seemed perfect at first.  Then I tried to sit down.  Oops.  I had to rip it all out and do it again.  Then once I got the angle I wanted on it, there was poofiness at the hips as a result.  My hips do not need anymore poof.  Im not really sure how, but I fixed it.

In the end, this is my dress:



 

 
 Our attempt at a photo shoot, lol.



Up close.




 
There debate over this picture....Sherie says I look skinny, I think it looks like I'm cradling my baby, lol.  After further review I did side with Sherie, but I still think its funny.


 Still laughing in the end.

1 comment: