Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lake Titicaca

I've been slacking in the updates.  My internet is good, but a bit slow when it comes to uploading photos, so I've been procrastinating posting.  Sorry.  (Also, all my photos are in RAW because of the photo project, but more on that later)

Anyways, my first weekend in Peru I went with 6 of my roommates to Puno and Lake Titicaca.  I wanted to go to Lake Titicaca since I learned it was in Peru, but I didn't know why it was so famous, other than its 2nd grade funny name.  Well, it is the highest lake in the world.  At 3,800 meters (12,500ft) above sea level.  We took an overnight bus from Cusco to Puno, got picked up at the bus station at 4:30am and taken to a hostel to sleep and have breakfast.  

From there we got on an old rickety boat on the lake and taken to the Uros Islands.  Uros islands are floating reed islands.  I believe they were made by the Incas to get away from the Spanish.  The President of the Island we were on showed us how they were made.  There's about 3 meters of reed roots tied together, and on top of that dried reeds are laid criss-cross on top about a meter deep.  Then they just build their huts on top. Walking on the islands, you can tell its floating, every step sinks a bit.  

The Uros islands, while cool...are a bit of  a tourist trap.  They give you a little presentation, let you see inside their huts, then try to sell you things.  And boy did I fall for it!  I spent like 30soles on the island, which is a lot of my tight tight budget.  The President took a few of us into his hut.  Inside he had two cute little boys laying in bed....watching TV!  Yup.  And island with no electricity that is supposed to be living old school ways...the President has solar panels!!  I thought this was kinda sad.  Yea, its cool that they can bring technology to them, but TV, really?  Gentrification at its finest my friends!  Regardless, they were very nice.  They let us take pictures without charging us, which is always nice.  In Cusco, to take a picture of someone is 1sol. 

From Uros we got back on the boat for a 3 hour ride to the island Amantani.  We were told they didn't have electricity either, but that was a lie.  There were power lines on the island (not much, but they were there.)  We were also told they only speak Quechua (the native language) but our host family spoke Spanish.  One thing they did tell us that was true was that it was going to be crazy cold at night!  And it was.  But our host gave us hats to wear, especially for when we were sleeping.  (which she later sold to us).  But after lunch we walked with our tour up to the top of the mountain on the island.  It was 4,100m above sea level.  The walk was easy, not a hike, just walking up a path...but oh my god was it hard!  I honestly think it may have been the most physically demanding thing I've ever done....solely because of the altitude.  My body wanted to keep going but I just could not breath.  That must be how life long smokers feel!  The top was cool and pretty though, and I have a gazillion pictures!  Hooray!

When we got back down the mountain my roommates and I decided to stop and share a bottle of wine at the only shop in the community.  Its a really great group.  Then we had dinner with our respective families and they dressed us up in traditional dresses of the island and had a fiesta!  The dresses were great, a white tunic with embroidered flowers, two giant colorful skirts, and a belt.  The host wife made fun of my size the whole time she was helping me put this costume over my clothes.  Then they cinch you up with the belt...like old corsets.  Of course cinching the belt made the skirts bulge...to which the wife patted my belly saying "tu baby."  Gee thanks.  Peruvian women are quite small....does a number on the ole self confidence.  But the party was really fun!  me and the other two girls, Alejandra and Jill walked back up the hill and met the boys (who were dressed in wool ponchos).  We danced the night away.  Now I know why they are so small!  It was crazy exhausting!

The next day after a traditional breakfast with the family we got back on the boat and went to the Island Tequile.  We walked up the mountain to the center.  It was easier than the day before.  Then we had lunch at a restaurant type place.  They served us trout from Lake Titicaca that they had caught that day.  It was really good!  And they danced and sang for us and let us take pictures.  

After that it was a 3 hour boat ride back to Puno.  We had 5 hours to kill in Puno but it was Easter Sunday, so there wasn't much open.  We stopped at a tourist bar for awhile, then had dinner at a local restaurant (one of my only times eating out), then to the overnight bus back to Cusco!  It was a great trip. We're going to Macchu Picchu this weekend...can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment