Monday, April 2, 2012

Cusco, Day 1

My thoughts are a bit disorganized, but I want to share my day while its still fresh.  So bare with me.  

My flight was long, I arrived in Lima at 4:30am and had a 5 hour lay over.  I finally got to Cusco at 11, I gathered my bag and walked out the airport to an insane amount of people waiting to pick people up.  I was overwhelmed from the get go trying to find the guy with my name on his sign.  I finally find him, he puts me in a taxi, gives the driver instructions in Spanish that I can't understand, then shuts the door.  If I was going to give advice to anyone else wanting to do this, my first thing I would say is that you have be able to trust other people a lot.  I was completely dependent on these guys who I couldn't understand.  It was an uneasy feeling.  But, obviously, everything worked out.  We went to the office, then to my accommodation. 

My accommodation is so much better than I anticipated!  The house is actually really nice, there's a living room, (where my roommates are currently watching Hunger Games that they bought at the market for 3.5soles (which is about $1.50)).  My room is upstairs where I have a double sized bed with bureau.  I room with two 19 year old Canadians.  It's their first day too.  The view is pretty great and there's a roof top with a great view of the mountains and the city.  

My meals are provided.  So far I've had two.  And they are the best meals I have ever had.  Period.  (sorry Sherie).  I've already decided to bring home a cook book and learn how to cook Peruvian food.  I will take pictures of future meals now that I know they are so good.  Tonight we had some type of white flakey fish with onions and tomatoes and strange potato like thing.  

I had orientation today, it made me feel much better about this whole program.  I was very in the dark until I showed up. Again, with the trust thing.  Some tips I've learned, (I'm looking at you Caitlin!) there is no need to go through International Volunteer Headquarter.  I was happy with them until I got here to Cusco and realized that I could have volunteered directly with Maximo Nivel.  I don't know what the cost of volunteering with Maximo is compared to what I paid, but I do know that the guy who went directly though Maximo gets FREE spanish lessons!  I have to pay $60 or $70/ week.  

Tomorrow I get to learn about my project and see the site where I'll be working.  There's another girl in the house who's working at old folks home. She likes it there, but shes in the medical program. But at least I might have someone to walk with.  So in my house, there is an Australian Rasta man, a German photographer, a girl from Chicago (!), a couple Canadian girls, an Irish chick and a girl from Puerto Rico. Its a nice combination.  

Overall an intense but very good day :)  Oh and there was a parade today!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for you to cook us some good food when you get back! -- Sherie

    ReplyDelete