Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Don't bother sweeping in Broome...

...the red dirt is everywhere. Ah ah ah. Who appreciates my 'Kevin joke'??


I don't have many pictures of Broome because it rained.  The only time it wasn't raining (just drizzling) I went on an old people's tour.  Seriously.  I didn't know it was an old people's tour until the bus picked me up and I was the only one under the age of 70 on the bus.  I felt like I was 15 on a family trip with my grandparents.  Homosassa anyone?

When it wasn't pouring buckets Broome was really pretty.  Its known for its contrasting colors, red dirt, green bush, blue water, white sand.  Beacuse of the unseasonably wet weather it was more green than normal.  Which can actually be said for all my pictures going down The Center as well.  The best color-contrasting picture:

Yea.  Its pretty.  I wish I could have seen it in the sun. 

At low tide...very low tide, you can climb down the rocks and find dinorsaur fossils in the rocks!  This however, is a picture of the replica of dinosaur fossils.  The doesn't usually get low enough for you to find them, only on special low tide occasions.  And I'm pretty sure it was high tide when we were there anyway.  Still cool in my opinoin!




Do you recognize this rock?!  You might not.  Buts its Australia!!  Its a natural formation, and actually I was trying so hard to get Tasmania in the picture that I cut out Western Australia, where I was.  Tasmania is not part of the natural formation, someone put that there, but having the mainland Australia almost split into the states is still impressive.

The only picture I took in town is of the old time outdoor movie theater:
I didn't get a chance to check out a movie here.  Did I mention it was raining?

This is the Japanese cemetary.  Broome is known for Pearl farms.  Bet you didn't think about someone having to dive to the bottom of the ocean to get those pearls for you.  Anyways, its risky business.  Or at least it used to be before Scuba equipment existed.  Ever seen that Cuba Gooding Jr. movie about him being the first black navy diver?  The equipment they used to dive for pearls was about the same.  You basically wore a few hundred pounds of waterproof suit with a tube going back to the boat for oxygen.  They lowered you into the ocean and the boat was coast around the top while the diver walked along the bottom trying to find shells.   They had to pick up the shells and put them in their basket before the boat moved too far forward, if they weren't fast enough or bent down to pick up the shells they would fall forward and not be able to stand straight again.  They'd get dragged along the ocean floor for lord knows how long and most likely die.  If they didn't fall over, when the came to the top it was like to get decompression sickness.  Decompression sickness is when you come up to the surface too fast and the nitrogen thats in your bloodstream expands and causes extreme pain in the joints, or embolisms in your brain or heart, etc.  Its bad news.  You learn about decompression sickness in dive certification, now they have techniques to avoid getting it.  They didn't know about it when the Japanese were diving all day everyday.  Why Japanese you ask?  Because they're little.  Yup, its that simple.  They're little and could get into the equipment easier than others.  Japanese migrated over to Broome to work on Pearl farms, were treated like crap, and died quite often.  Hence the Japanese cemertary.  They are also restoring the headstones that crack or break off, which is why some are black and some are still the old sandstone originally used.

More colors just for the fun of it :)

1 comment: