Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Travel blog you say

5 days until I leave for Peru.  People keep asking me if I'm nervous or excited, and oddly I'm not either one.  I mean yes, I'm excited, I know its going to be great, but I'm not jumping out of my skin for it to be Saturday.  And that might be where the nervousness sneaks in.  I'm equally nervous and excited, which is giving me this strange sense of calm about the whole thing.  (180 degree revelation from the last post, I realize). I've been tying up loose ends here (ie parking tickets, camera goods) and beyond that nothing is really in my control.  I just have to get my self and my pack to the airport by 3:30pm on Saturday, after that I have no control.  I will be picked up at the airport (I'm really looking forward to it, there's going to be a dude with my name on a board waiting for me, just like the movies).  Beyond that,  I can't change how much Spanish I still don't know, or how much money I still don't have, I don't have to worry about accommodation or food, and I don't want to plan any social outings/hikes until I get there.  It'll be cheaper to plan when I'm there and hopefully I can jump on with some other volunteers.


The one thing I am nervous about:  They just told me I'm going to be teaching English at a nursing home.  Eeeek!  I don't know how to interact with elderly!  They are ignoring my years of experience working with kids and throwing me into an completely unknown environment.  Seems almost like "experience karma"  I thought I'd have it easy, just chill with some kiddos talking in Spanglish.  Wrong.  I really hope the old men don't hit on my.  I know that sounds arrogant and mean, but really, old men looooove me.  I don't know what it is, they always hit on me.  


There is a major holiday the first week I'm there.  Apparently they have a major holiday every other weekend from what I hear.  My volunteer organization was quick to tell me that my schedule would be interrupted for special events and that I will  "be asked to join in the regular, day to day care of patients during that time." Great.  I bet I'm going to have to change adult diapers.


Hopefully I'm way off base.  Probably.  Hopefully.  We'll see.  No point in stressing about it now.  To Peru!!

No comments:

Post a Comment