Monday, March 8, 2010

Favorite Sydney Sights


I walked pretty much all of Sydney CBD today (read as downtown Sydney)  and took some toursity pictures to share. 

 
Harbour Bridge.  Fun Fact: the concrete pylons on both sides of the bridge are purely for aesthetic purposes.  Sydneysiders didn't trust that the bridge was going to hold up, so builders put the pylons up to placate them but they don't actually bare any weight.  You can walk up one of them for $9 and get a pretty awesome view though.

This is Luna Park.  I have yet to go, but I find the face you have to walk through fairly creepy.

 
The Sydney Opera House.  Unfortunately the Opera House loses quite a bit of glory the closer I get to it.  Its a great site to be seen from afar, but up close all I can think about is how I wish they didn't use that weird 60's brown glass that makes it look so dirty.


 
Royal Botanical Gardens.  I think I could go here everyday and not get sick of it.

 
Just an awesome giant tree.

 
Sydney Hospital.  For some reason they received a statue of a warthog from Italy to symbolize friendship.  Its supposed to be good luck if you run its nose (as with any statue...i.e. John Harvard) which is why it looks bronze.  The penis is also bronze colored.  The plaque doesn't say anything about that...


 
St. Mary's Cathedral (with the ever present Asian tourist in front of it).  Cuz you know, churches are important and what not.

 

View of Harbour from another part of the Harbour.

 
Sitting at Circular Quay (key) sippin a latte.  

 

This is not the beach that literally made my jaw drop, but it'll do.  Manly Beach.


I have lots of pictures, that I will post on Google or Facebook, but these are my favorites so far :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh - that's what I'm talking about! looks like fun - and gloriously summer!

    ReplyDelete